Friday, January 23, 2009

Beam me up Scotty!!! Part 2

This is the sequence of my previous posting "Beam me up Scotty!!!"

... Both side of the family concurred, the marriage has to end. The burden was lifted from my shoulder. I am free at last! I couldn't phantom myself living with someone I was not in love and at the time I could hardly understand the meaning of a real love. *I was determined to get the monkey off my back. I succeeded. Phewww! What a relief!

* An idiom: Getting a problem off from his/her back

With little education, I seek employment at the only 4 star hotel in town, Kinabalu International Hotel, now known as Hyatt Kinabalu. It was the swankiest hotel in town. Businessmen concluded their wheelings and dealings at the hotel lounge, while the elites frequent the fine dining restaurant in the hotel.

I was interviewed by the Personnel Manager (later known as Human Resource Manager) and I could only qualify as a busgirl or a waiter's helper. I was overjoyed. I collected my appointment letter the very next day. The terms and conditions of the employment were very basic. Eight hours on shift duty, a day off in a week, basic salary of one hundred and eighty ringgit and 7 points service charge. Each point was equivalent to thirty ringgit. It was a small fortune for me. I was elated.

Back at home, my newborn baby cried wanting to be nursed. It was an agonizing time for me but I needed to be strong for our future. I pleaded to my mother to care for my baby while I worked. She was hesitant in the beginning but she knew, she had no choice. An income was badly needed to feed and clothe my baby.

Meanwhile, the burning urge of getting more education kept pestering me. It was eminent in me and I was adamant to continue where I left. Without the knowledge of my family, I enrolled and attended night classes at a private school close to the hotel I was working. With my meager income and a baby to feed, I could only pay for one course. I chose secretarial course as my subject on a part-time basis. I was taught how to write shorthand, typed with speed on a manual typewriter and learned how to comprehend English dictation. The nights that I went for my classes, I told my family that I had to work extra hours. They were convinced with my explanation.

Deep inside me, I wanted more. More than a basic course. I decided to resit for my Lower Certificate of Education (L.C.E.). It was the best thing I did; I passed with flying colors. I never stopped, I took it to the next level. I reckoned I could do well if I focus on my study. Time was the essence, I had to reconsider my secretarial course. In the end, I forfeited my secretarial course in exchange for regular school subjects. I attended classes on part-time basis. My aim was to sit for the Malaysian Certificate of Education (M.C.E) exam. The burden was heavy to carry but I was certain, it was the only way to progress in life. Waitressing, attending night classes and raising a child were the main focus of my life and yet I rarely saw my baby; I was lost in my own world.

An unwarranted wake-up call shook my world. Luck wasn't on my side, my only hope and the only person I have depended, my mother, met her untimely death. I was devastated. Apparently, my mother died of broken heart. She regretted the failed marriage I was imposed to obey, took it upon herself and slowly slipped into the darkness of death.

..to be continued.

4 comments:

Dora A-Erb said...

Zia... Oluo ginavo ku reading you... tambah vagu with the chinese bamboo flute backgound music. You've gone through a lot, bless your heart, you are one strong lady.

Dodu said...

Odoi Dora, kada koluo do ginavo. Thats part of life... some has it smooth sailing and while the others endured trials and tabulations. But thanks for the comfort.. appreciate it very much.

Hugs Zia

Borneo rain said...

uiii Zia... doi gia di ina nu dii - siou no kaazo... nga' otopot no boos nu dii... some faced rough seas in their life... a chinese friend once told me this chinese saying... it goes something like - 'in every house, there is a book that has never been read' kaa... i think it is similar in concept to the smooth vs. rough sailing... that with everybody there is a painful or sad story that no one knows about... unless u blog it! ;)

anyways, i love reading you :) ponuat gia vagu hehe...

Dodu said...

Hi Trix

What your Chinese friend told you is undeniably true. But yes, it was painful and sad.. but life has to go on and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I never gave up!

He he he... macam saya story teller pula ... hope my blogs grab you one way or the other. Don't worry.. its pure and honest.

Hugs Zia