Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What a hunk!

The road to Kuala Lumpur wealth, affluence, and fame is not an easy road to traverse, and is one often filled with broken deals, hardship, disappointment, and outright failure. Those who made it are able to scratch and claw their way out of the ranks of the masses to realize their dreams are few.

Kuala Lumpur, by and large, is charming, friendly city, where people smile at each other and occasionally greet each other on the street, as is somewhat common among the West Malaysians. I have adopted similar outlook in life after leaving my hometown, a laid back little town, couple of years ago.

Struggling to keep up with the stride of the achievers, I worked relentlessly to improve my status in an ever-changing of the hotel industry. I attended functions, held by the government departments or embassies, entertained journalists for afternoon high-teas at the executive lounge of the hotel I worked; participated in many tourism trade shows; climbed some of the tallest buildings in the city to make courtesy calls to big corporations; all for only one cause, to get ahead in the game.

That morning, the city was bustling with activities of all sorts. I buzzed the inter
com at the entrance gate of the American embassy building located at Jalan Tungku Abdul Rahman. A middle-age Indian "jaga" (security guard), peeped his head through a small window with no nonsense demeanor. "Ada buat temujanji?" ("Have you made any appointment?")he asked in Malay. I told him I have an appointment with the secretary of the US ambassador at 9am. My visit to the embassy that day has nothing to do with me personally. It was part of my routine job at the hotel to make a monthly courtesy call.

Call it my lucky day or was it? I was heading for the secretary's office when I stumbled upon a gentleman in the elevator. He was young, handsome and athletic build. For a second, I thought I saw Richard Gere but I when I did a quick mental assessment, he could be over 6 feet tall. So it can't be him. I couldn't help but just admired his well structured physique and charming look. Too engrossed, I did not realized I dropped few copies of my promotional material, which I had prepared earlier in a folder, on the floor. "Excuse me, you dropped some papers on the floor" said the gentleman. He bent down and collected them for me. I thanked him and was about to make an exit from the elevator when he spoke up again. He requested a copy of the hotel brochure from me and I gave him one with my business card stapled on it. I went on my way and he continued to his floor.

Later that evening at the hotel, while typing my press release, the hotel telephone operator buzzed me. "Miss Jessie, there is a call from Mr David Holly for you. Do you want me to put through his call?" she asked. Nonchalantly, I said yes. My focus at the time was on my last paragraph of the hotel press release. I was preoccupied and seriously wrecking my
head trying to come up with a closing slogan for my Food & Beverage promotion.

"Hello, Jessie Mambasal? This is David Holly. We met in the elevator this morning," said a man with an American accent. I immediately dropped everything I was doing and just awed in bewilderment. Oh my God, oh my God, that hunk! Yes indeed, that same hunk I was admiring that morning!

To make a story short, he invited me for a drink at the Mirage near Ampang Point that evening. I gladly accepted his offer and 3 years later we became Mr & Mrs David Holly.

ends.

13 comments:

Dora A-Erb said...

Zia... I enjoyed reading you. Please... tell me more, tell me more... hehe.

NanC said...

wow..what a hunk eh :p

Dodu said...

Om that is fact of daily life boh Dora.... You never know who meet. That was 13 years ago, time do omuhok poh boh izikoi. Ba om nung kivaa solita vagu ih ondom ku nga.. monuat zou vagu kio.

Dodu said...

Nanc, yes, What a hunk! Tapi after 13 years... hmmm .. ada beer gut and grey hair sudah gia si Dave. Nevermindlah.. I still love him no matter what.

NanC said...

hehehee... Zia.. 13yrs bah tu..
dont think nowadays ada yang buli sampai into that stage or not..
sia punya baru 4yrs...mmmmmm lamaaaaa lagi tu!!!!!

Alice said...

that's a romantic story!

Dodu said...

Hi Alice..greetings from Italy! Hows the wx like in Hong Kong? Thanks for dropping by.... ain't life is full of surprises?

Anies Azeera said...

Wow.. just like a fairy tale! I enjoyed reading your story. Hope to read more ....

Anonymous said...

Hi Zia, very interesting love at the first sight story... How are you doing? I'm just doing some blog hopping right now so yeah I like your story.
Take care. -Judith Hoefer

Dodu said...

Hi Anies

Ya bah, fairy tale but a real one.. thanks for dropping by.

Dodu said...

Judith, pandai juga kau sesat dalam blog saya. I am doing fine and so is my family. My grand daughter is getting bigger and smarter. I am elated with her developments. Where are you now?

Regards

Zia

Anonymous said...

Hi Zia, we're still in Singapore ni. I have a feeling we'll be here for a while.
The pics punya resolution not very good maybe you can put some of your old pic sana FB, so we can see the Richard Gere and Julia Robert pics 13 yrs ago.hehehe
Ohya which hotel kau kerja that time..-judith

Dodu said...

Hi Judith

Yes, the resolution memang tidak bagus sebab that picture is a scanned picture. Not digitally taken.. main yang develop punya bah. Style dulu. But you can actually double click the picture itself for clearer viewing. You this bah.. bukan Julia Robert.. more like Zeta Jones pindik..LOL!!!

I was working for a Spanish chain of Hotels & Resorts .. Melia Kuala Lumpur located along Jalan Imbi. I was the PR Manager disana for sometime.

Well, Singapore is really a nice place to live minus the cost of living. When are you guys returning to the States? Still running your Mailbox etc in Lintas?

Talk to you soon.. Zia