Monday, January 19, 2009

Okinawa, Japan?

Monday morning, I stirred from my sleep and turned to my rightside. Dave was gone. "Hmmm.. what time is it?" I asked myself. The clock on my bedside table indicated it was 10:15am. I panicked. I have made a DHL request for pick up between 10:00am to 11:00am two days ago.

Suddenly I heard the phone ringing from the other room. I got up to answer it. "Please call me back" said my husband on the other end. Its a habit Dave practiced over the years to reduce the usage of his cellphone talk time. Brilliant! Good thinking Dave.

I dialed his number and got him on the line. I asked him whats going on. He said he had just received news from his Project Manager regarding a transfer. I kept silence and Dave went on telling me to be prepared for the move. Deep inside me, I was worried whats the time limit we have before we get into the next shaking plane.

"When are we leaving and where? I questioned Dave. He told me the report date is no later than the first week of May and we will be moving to Japan. I gave a big sigh. Lucky, enough time to plan things out. There is Ah Choy, our cat, needs his paperwork done, one car to ship back to US, one car to sell, knick-knacks to pack and air tickets to arrange. I felt dizzy. My adrenalin kicked in. Where do I start from here? So many things to consider. Everything was fuzzy.

Something suddenly got my attention. Uhu.. I soon be leaving Italy and I won't be seeing my grand daughter for a long time. Its heart breaking. What do I tell her? Will it make any difference to a toddler if her grandma is on the other side of the globe? Aha, no problem. Modern technology has reached its peak. With one click, one can see the other almost instantly. Webcam was created for that purpose. Yes, a somewhat relief for me.

As soon as Dave finished talking to me, I switched on my laptop. Stared at the machine performing its tasks while my mind wandered far away. I made a mental note to check on the location of our next posting. I am hoping its going to be a beautiful location and cheaper to live.

While I was in my deep thought, the phone rang again. It was Dave. "Now what?" I asked him. "Call me" he said. I dialed his number for the second time. "We are not going to Japan. I am turning down the offer" was Dave's answer to me. He told me he would rather go back to the States closer to his aging parents. I think he made the wise decision.

So, Okinawa, Japan, sorry, we are not coming!

ends.

6 comments:

Dora A-Erb said...

That sounds great Zia... you guys will be moving to the US. Dave indeed made a wise decision... good on him :)

Dodu said...

Om ingkaa no daa oh kila kila dagai tih Dora. Muhi zikoi dati doiho id Oklahoma nga depending nogi nung we have position available do doiho. Nung au nopo nga terpaksa somewhere in Texas.

Intangan podi gia.

Anies Azeera said...

Kopivosian.

My first time here. I enjoyed reading your posts Dodu. Will definitely come back.

Dora A-Erb said...

Doi ... songkuo daa vinasi nung kopinda kou doiti Texas. Alamai tokou Kadazan doiti. Bah, keep us posted kio :)

Dodu said...

Hi Anies

Thanks for dropping by. Its my pleasure! I have added you to my blogroll. Yes, drop by anytime.. Ciao Zia Holly

Dodu said...

Dora.. om ingkaa noh daa pomikilan ku diti. Alalamai dih daa tokou do doino id Texas. We plan to live there for a t another 12-13 years before we retire permanentlt in KK. So meanwhile, our house in KK is our holiday home.. place where we can go for our yearly break.

Bah, om atatamis kou noh daa do doino, kio.

Hugs Zia