Monday, January 19, 2009

Pak Abu pergi memancing..

....dapat se-ekor ikan gelama. Hati riang, janganlah risau. Dapat makan bersama sama. (A village folk, Pak Abu, went fishing. He caught a little Gelama fish and was delighted to share with everyone without any worries)

~The essence of this fable is about how the little things in life are the most important~

I hummed to the same tune over and over, gaily hoping along the embankment of paddy fields. Stretched in front of me were miles and miles of green fields; some separated by make-shift picket fences. I could feel the gentle breeze blowing my sun-streaked hair away from my face; the air permeated the fresh smell of young paddy plants. If I can, I want to be there forever.

Those were fond memories I had while growing up as a child. I vividly remember events like riding buffaloes covered with mud; my legs full of wounds and dried scabs but they never bothered me. I bathed in the creek, I felt clean and fresh. Shoes and slippers were not important items of my daily life as my soles were thicker than those of cowhide.

During school holidays, from dawn to sun down, I wandered to nearby stream, fishing for little carps or collecting wild veggies from the jungle to cook for that day’s meal. Burger King and KFC were never part of the bargain. Yet I was a happy child.

Our evening meals comprise of rice, a piece of sun-dried fish (grilled over hot fire, drizzled with lime juice and spiced with chilies) and a plate of home grown vegetables or those from the wild. If we are lucky, we have chicken once a month. Pork was taken occasionally as it was considered very expensive. I am thankful, there's always food on the table.

I did not have new toys to play and new dress to wear but my mother collected used ones from her work place. She cleaned and dusted government quarters that were used to house expatriates, hired to run the Public Works Department in North Borneo. I enjoyed all those simple pleasures and I felt lucky to receive hand downs.

I remember once when I wanted a doll, my mother couldn’t afford to buy a new one even those made from China. Money was scarce; I ended taking our neighbor’s daughter’s doll. It was the most embarrassing moment of my life but I was only a child who wanted a doll.

“Hurry up! Gather as many as you can and come down quick” my brother hollered at me. I was perched on a small branch trying to grab raw mangoes. I heard dogs barking from a distance. I knew that our neighbor was coming with a cane in her hand. I jumped down from the tree, passed the mango fruits to my brother and ran for my life. There were so many thrills and excitement, I hardly had the time to think, whats gonna be the next day. I ran freely, as free as the wind blows.

If only I could turn the clock back, even for a day to relive my childhood days, I would gladly part with some of my worldly possessions in exchange for those wonderful moment.

ends.


No comments: