Friday, January 16, 2009

Hold me tight, tight

"Uaaa..uaaa..uaaa..", a shrill sound coming from somewhere. "Where am I?" my sudden conscience zapped me to reality. It was a dream.

I tried to move, restricted. I was mummified by my own bed sheet, twisted around my body. How did that happened? Did some aliens came down to earth, did a quick prank on me and then took off in their flying saucer? "Errr..." I shuddered. Unlikely!

In fact it was the day my daughter was due for her c-section delivery. I was laden with anxiety. I must have tossed and turned throughout the night. Anxious of the procedure, the safety of my daughter, the baby's health and the thought of holding a newborn baby. I personally experienced 3 c-section deliveries but I wasn't sure whether my daughter was as tough as I am.

Eager as I was with my trip to the hospital that day, my mind won't shut off from thinking what its like to be a grandmother. I visualized myself sitting on a rocking chair and singing lullaby to my grandchild. "Hello chipmunk, I am your grandma." I managed a quick smile. I was on cloud 9.

The whole neighborhood was still in pitch darkness when I got down to the kitchen to make my coffee. I was
careful not to create any noise when suddenly my German cuckoo clock , a gift from a good friend, jolted me. "Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo" It was 4 in the morning. Dang! Too damn early.

I took my sweet time driving towards the hospital. Everything seems to be so fresh after last night's downpour. It was a beautiful clear morning and I could see the pride of Sabah, Mt Kinabalu, standing majesticly
in front of me. My beautiful land. Oh, how I love you. I am so blessed to be one of the legendary Huminodun's ancestors.

It took me less than twenty minutes to get to my destination. The parking area was quite empty. Cars dribbled in slowly with its passengers still in their day dreaming mode. Nobody was in hurry. It was just another typical day for those who are coming to perform their duties at the hospital.

I was not able to see my daughter before she was wheeled into the operating theater at 6:30am. I found my son in-law sitting in the waiting room fidgeting with his handy cam and looking nervous. "Good morning Tom" I greeted him. He looked like he had a rough night. His hair tousled and seemed like he had a few days stubble on his face. He responded to my greeting with a somber smile. "Hey, lighten up! You are going to be a dad in less than 2 hours" I tried to amuse him.

Suddenly a nurse appeared at the door and informed Tom to go to the annex room to dress up into the hospital garb. "Sir, please follow me to the next room to put on the hospital dressing before you can enter the operating room" she ordered.

Personally, I w
as anxious and impatient for the moment of truth. Two hours went by, still no sign of Tom. It seemed like the progress of the procedure was painstakingly dragging. I was restless.

I was on my cellphone talking to my husband, who at the time was in Italy, reporting the event when Tom entered the waiting room. I saw tears in his eyes, slowly trickling down on his cheeks. It wasn't tears of sadness but the tears of joy. A new life was born!.

"She is beautiful and a healthy baby! Alissa is doing fine" he choked. I couldn't help myself but started shedding tears of my own. It was a historical moment for both of us; Tom, his first time as a dad and me, my first time as a grandma.

"Dodu, hold me tight, tight" my granddaughter said to me 2 years later.

ends.

2 comments:

Borneo rain said...

Zia! Hello there... thank you for visiting my blog! Yes, of course, you may add to your roll... miaga nogi diau... blog-writing is new for me :) But I do so enjoy reading your blog! What wonderful writing! Like peering into your soul on a warm sunny... and finding gems on wisdom ever so precious :) Keep writing, kio? Take care...lots of luv, Trixie

Dodu said...

Thanks Trixie... appreciate your compliments. Can I hire you to be my editor? LOL... my writing needs editing.. i.e. grammatical sentence, structure etc etc.. I tried to express the best I can.

I admire your talent.. Hugs Zia