Thursday, January 8, 2009

Getting into the New Year 2009... blogging.

Blogging??

That is unheard of me. Here we go...

I have absolutely no clue of what "blogging" is all about but eventually I found time to learn it. I am a little bit late in the game but at least I made the attempt.


I have never really got into "blogging" until boredom hits me like thunder rolls. I have read blogs from friends but never thought that I would end up doing one for myself. I wasn't interested at all to start with. I consider myself a private person and sharing my bits of life to the world is a no no. Am I being insensitive and selfish? I tried not to.


I have come to a conclusion there is no harm in sharing and expressing my views. What the heck? Why not for the fun of it! There are a lot of things that I would like to express and share with my friends and family. It seems like this is the only way to rid my boredom beside sitting in front of my laptop surfing the net, waiting for my kids to go on line, monitoring my kids' daily life without me, planning our financial budget for the year, etc etc. The list is endless but I still have plenty of time at hand.


Some people might say, why don't you hone your cooking? Hmmm.. I'd love to but unfortunately Dave (my husband) is cautious of consuming unknown cuisine to him other than what was provided to him while growing up as a child. A typical American boy who loves his steaks, hotdogs, hamburgers, sandwiches and literally plain pastas. I have tried to maneuver his taste bud but to no avail. I am done with cooking!!!! Guess what? Being an Asian, I cook rice once a month!!! It seems unreal but this is true. Dave would freak out if he has to eat rice twice a month. But the good side, he never complain eating pasta night and day. Good for me! Easy maintenance for a husband..


For the past decade, I enjoyed my freedom from my hotel job. But of late, something is creeping within me... I need to do something or I will die prematurely of boredom.


As a retired hotelier, I find myself unproductive in life. It was over a decade since I left my last position as a Public Relations Manager for a 5 star hotel. Together with my husband, I have traveled and lived in many parts of the world. I enjoyed it thoroughly but now it is slowly taking a toll on me. Its time to establish in one place for a while and maybe do some menial job. Make a little sense in life and maybe contribute a little to my family or even if it is just for myself. It dawned on me that everyone has a purpose in life. Well, I know that for a fact when I used to be the sole bread winner for my 3 kids before I met Dave. Raising 3 kids is no fun for a single mum.

Working for a 5 star hotel is a torture yet full-filling. It takes a lot of patience to be in this business. My position in the hotel requires me to put on a business suit, 3 inch high heels (considering that I am only 5' tall), carefully applied make-up and a confident attitude to effectively perform some of my duties. Amongst of which are, meet and greet VVIPs, CEOs of multi-national companies, foreign dignitaries, and at one time, the King of Malaysia.

Visits to the embassies was done on regular basis. I had the opportunity to befriend the Cuban ambassador to Malaysia who offered me good Cuban cigars. How cool is that!! Having said that, I have also encountered loads of setbacks. I
sometime feel myself as a slave to the industry but it paid all the bills.

Day in and day out, I stepped out of the door by 8am to beat the traffic for my 9am work schedule and leave the hotel door at 6pm. Otherwise, I am stuck with the hotel events till late at night. Sometimes I don't have the time to peep outside to see whats the weather like. On other occasions, when one of our hotel guests become the meanest bitch/SOB, I pray that I don't get an order to appear in front of my Director of Sales & Marketing to be shot dead. It was a hairy situation and it feels like tip-toeing on a piece of a fine thread. The famous quote of the hotel industry " The guest is always right".

Of course, I have fond memories of my career and I honestly miss it at times. Socializing among different levels of people from different cultures and traditions is something that I have always enjoyed.

Being a pragmatic person, I find myself deteriorating day by day. What do I do now?

Nevertheless, I am not complaining about life. I have a wonderful family; a loving and dedicated husband, a son whom I am very proud of, 2 sweetest and loving daughters, adorable grand daughter - my little angel, a wonderful son-in-law and a loyal Siamese cat. I consider myself very fortunate.

Human nature has its way to make one feel hopeless and I use this an excuse. Knowingly that at one point of my life, I used to be the busiest person on earth (so it seems). It is a self-righteous proclamation but that was how I felt back then. I thrived on crisis and life was never boring. Never a day was dull to me until lately. Mankind, never satisfied with God's gift to them. And that one of them is ME!!!!

ends.

2 comments:

Dora A-Erb said...

Kopivosian Zia... tata, nakansau zou kama doiti blog nu. Welcome to the blogging world. I think I am your first guest, kiva dii mah naku welcoming gift ku diti... haha, just kidding kio. Anyways, I enjoyed reading you, really. Bah, nung kiva masa nu, you're welcome to visit my blog kio.

Dodu said...

Hi Dora.. Kotobian.. Ala la la.. as my first reader, my gift to you is my friendship. Appreciate your time spent reading my first blog which I need to brush it up. Am not a good writer but obuli do kikinaman boh, koni? I will visit your blog kio.. and will write from time to time.