Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My wheels are turning.


Every dog has its day....

In the midst of preparing dinner, I heard my husband driving through our driveway. Weather was gloomy, still and cold; almost freezing temperature and eerie. I can hear him getting off from the car and stomping his feet for the entrance door to our house. He puffed and huffed like an angry wolf.

"Whats wrong babe?" I said to him as soon as he entered the kitchen. He was real quiet. I did not pursue further. I knew that something was not right. Okay, I pretended to be calm but deep inside me I was anxious. I continued with what I was doing.

My husband came and stood near the stove, grab a bottle of water nearby and took a big gulp. He looked into my eyes and shook his head. "Honey, we are done here in Italy" mustering the words together. I could hardly hear him. The Italian Peace Ceaser F16 Project is winding down. Lockheed Martin employees based in Cervia, Italy are advised to go for the next available project within the organization.

I knew this was coming but I never expected it to be too soon. Honestly, I am relieved to move on. I had enough of the pizzeria, cafe and mercatino scenes. Another reason that I am all for a change is the currency exchange rate irrational movements. Dave's pay roll is based on the American system overseas tax exempt. Sounds great with all the perks included but it is not so. The euro is gaining strength and the greenback is getting weaker by day. I am getting frustrated with the daily changes. I wonder when is this going to end.

Dave explained to me that we have few options. Return to the United States, deploy to Afghanistan or Iraq or sign a contract for Japan posting in Okinawa. It did not matter to me as long as we stay away from this high priced location. I would be happy to just get out of this rut. We spent 6 years in Italy and any other locations would be more than welcome.

The eastern block is one of the locations mentioned but I don't see myself living in a freezing, long and cold winter. I love the snow but I don't like to live in it. I told Dave I am not going to be happy if he chooses to go for this location. He agreed and suggested the other options. I beamed with smile on his decision.

Afghanistan or Iraq is a temporary posting for my husband. So this might be an opportunity for me to return to my hometown. I have always wanted to spend sometime on our beach house in Borneo and enjoy the sunset every evening.

Although we plan our next move tailored to our needs but the final call will depend on location that will need my husband's expertise.

ends.

No comments: