Monday, January 12, 2009

Sunday Dilemma


It was 10:30am on Sunday. I was groggy due to lack of sleep. Suddenly I heard my cellphone ringing. I was too lazy to get up. My husband reluctantly jumped out of the bed to answer my phone.

"Hello" Dave greeted the caller. He hesitated for a moment and said " Chucky, your mom is still in bed and did not go to bed till 5 this morning". Dave handed the cellphone to me and left the room.

"Yes, what is wrong now?" I asked my youngest daughter. That remarks has been the usual line that I have used over the years to my kids. I fear for emergencies. I have encountered many in the past.

My daughter giggled and said she is bored and decided to call to see how I was doing. A relief sigh came out from my chest. My children by now understood how I react when there is a crisis.

My daughter mentioned to me that she is doing great in her 3rd week serving the Malaysian National Service. She made new friends from different backgrounds. She also mentioned to me that she is eager to complete her term with the National Service and get on with her life in college. We talked about her enrollment in college and preparations to live in West Malaysia. She was all excited.

Suddenly she paused. I asked her what is wrong. She was very hesitant to continue but I persisted to ask her. My mind was racing and shit worried what is going on with my daughter.

Out of a sudden my daughter started her mischievous laughs and asked me if it is okay for me to advise her some personal issues. I told her I am fine with it and if I can assist, I will gladly do so. She started asking my opinion if I agree to accept a proposal from someone special to her. I went blank! "Oh, not now mama but maybe 5 years down the road" she quickly added. She continued asking me how much would be the dowry I will be asking from him. I thought to myself, oh dearie, dearie... I am in a big trouble.

Oh my God! "Chucky, what is going on?" I asked my daughter. I can hear my husband making his coffee in the kitchen and mumbling to himself. Dave gets very nervous when he hears my voice tone changes while talking to my kids.

Apparently, my daughter has never cease contact with one of my best friends' son. They met few years ago and continued a long distance "puppy love" relationship. She also asked me what do I think about him. I was positive with my answers. I told her he is a fine young man and I am sure he will be a good husband for her. "But wait a minute.. why are we talking about this now? Can we concentrate on your college and career first?" I questioned my daughter. "Mama, I understand that but there is no harm in getting prepared for the future and this is part of my future" my little girl added. She said she is 18 and big enough to consider and plan for her future. She needed someone to talk to and share her thoughts. She also made a promise to me that her education is her priority and later establish a career before heading for the aisle.

Phewww!!!! At least I am relieved for now. Who knows, what is in store for me the next couple of days.

ends.

No comments: